Amidst the continuously evolving realm of business education in India, the interplay between scholarly research and industry consulting endeavors stands out as a potent and dynamic force. This article seeks to delve into the viewpoints and significance that these initiatives bring to the classroom context in renowned educational institutions: the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, the Indian School of Business (ISB), IIM Bangalore, and IIM Kozhikode.
We will delve into the remarkable achievements of research centers in these institutions, emphasizing their role in enhancing the MBA course and their contributions to the wider business landscape.
IIM Ahmedabad: Innovating the MBA Course through Research and Consulting
1. The Arun Duggal Centre for ESG Research (CESGR): Driving ESG Adoption
At IIM Ahmedabad, The Arun Duggal Centre for ESG Research (CESGR) is at the forefront of a transformative journey towards sustainable capitalism. Focused on Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG), CESGR is an instrumental contributor to the nascent ESG ecosystem in India. The center's research endeavors to integrate ESG principles into the core strategies and investment decisions of Indian enterprises. This initiative aligns with global trends set in motion by UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in 2005, where ESG metrics have become critical for evaluating corporate performance.
The Ashank Desai Centre for Leadership and Organisational Development: The center's varied areas of focus encompass leadership within knowledge-based organizations, public sector institutions, non-profit organizations, CEO personality, and the development of strategic leadership.
This approach results in high-quality research that subsequently informs leadership development programs, offering real-world solutions to leaders at various levels in Indian and multinational organizations. The impact on the classroom is profound as students gain insights from this research, inspiring them to be well-rounded leaders.
2. IIM Ahmedabad - Brij Disa Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
In today's data-driven world, the Brij Disa Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (CDSA) is pioneering cutting-edge research that's at the forefront of business, governance, and policy solutions. By leveraging data analytics and artificial intelligence, CDSA offers practical applications for students and faculty alike. The insights generated from CDSA's research enrich classroom discussions, providing students with contemporary tools and frameworks to address real-world challenges.
IIM Ahmedabad's Other Pioneering Centers:
IIMA's commitment to innovation doesn't stop there. The Centre for Digital Transformation and the Centre for Innovation, Incubation, and Entrepreneurship provide students with an unmatched entrepreneurial and digital education. The Centre for Management of Health Services focuses on improving healthcare management, while the Centre for Transportation and Logistics addresses the challenges of sustainable urban mobility and efficient logistics. These centers reinforce the relevance of research and consulting in the classroom, preparing students to tackle real-world issues.
ISB: Shaping Excellence through Specialized Research Centers
The Indian School of Business (ISB) mirrors the dedication to excellence through its array of research centers.
1. ISB Institute of Data Science: Leveraging Data-Driven Approaches
The ISB Institute of Data Science (IIDS) focuses on helping organizations harness data-driven approaches to gain a sustainable competitive advantage. The research conducted at IIDS forms the basis for innovative data strategies, offering students a powerful blend of theory and practical application.
2. ISB - Punj Lloyd Institute of Infrastructure Management
The Punj Lloyd Institute of Infrastructure Management (PLIIM) contributes to the development of top-tier management capabilities for the infrastructure and real estate sectors. Its flagship Advanced Management Program for Infrastructure (AMPI) provides an interdisciplinary education catering to mid-career professionals, bridging the gap between academia and industry.
3. ISB - Munjal Institute for Global Manufacturing
The Munjal Institute for Global Manufacturing (MIGM) is pioneering a resurgence in the manufacturing sector. Collaborating with MIT, MIGM offers a curriculum based on MIT’s Leadership for Global Operations program, providing students with invaluable insights into global manufacturing practices.
4. Max Institute of Healthcare Management: Shaping the Healthcare Landscape
In the healthcare sector, the Max Institute of Healthcare Management (MIHM) conducts interdisciplinary research on health systems, healthcare innovation, and technology. MIHM stands at the crossroads of healthcare innovation, enhancing students' understanding of healthcare services and products.
5. ISB Bharti Institute of Public Policy:
ISB boasts several other research centers, each dedicated to diverse fields such as IT and the networked economy, family enterprises, business innovation, and marketing. These centers engage with the corporate world, contributing to the development of innovative practices that students can absorb and apply.
The transformative role of research and industry consulting at IIMA and ISB is undeniable. These centers enrich the classroom experience by providing students with real-world insights, tools, and frameworks, preparing them for the complex challenges of the business world. Moreover, they empower faculty to conduct cutting-edge research that fuels innovation and thought leadership.
IIM Bangalore: Fostering Excellence in Financial Markets and Corporate Governance
1. Centre for Capital Markets and Risk Management:
At IIM Bangalore , the Centre for Capital Markets and Risk Management is committed to providing academic leadership in research and teaching in the domain of Indian financial markets. Additionally, students at IIM Bangalore get the opportunity to engage in hands-on research in financial markets.
2. Centre for Corporate Governance and Sustainability (CCGS):
The research conducted at the center addresses issues crucial for corporate governance practices in India. These insights inform classroom discussions and case studies, providing students with a deeper understanding of ethical and governance challenges faced by businesses.
3. Israel Centre:
With a vision to promote entrepreneurial activity, business collaboration, and academic partnerships between India and Israel, the Israel Centre at IIM Bangalore bridges the gap between these two nations. The research conducted here enhances the international perspective in classrooms, bringing global business dynamics into focus.
4. Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL):
CTL at IIM Bangalore is at the forefront of researching best practices in teaching and learning. Professors involved in CTL disseminate their findings to improve teaching standards, thereby enhancing the classroom experience. These insights are directly incorporated into pedagogical methods, benefitting students.
5. Supply Chain Management Centre:
The supply chain is a vital aspect of modern business, and IIM Bangalore recognizes this importance. The research and consulting activities in the Supply Chain Management Centre enable students to explore various facets of logistics, transportation, and supply chain optimization. This hands-on approach enhances the curriculum, making it more practical and industry-relevant.
6. IIM Bangalore - Behavioural Sciences Lab:
The Behavioral Sciences Lab at IIM Bangalore provides a controlled environment for experimental research. Professors conduct research spanning multiple disciplines, including marketing, economics, and organizational behavior. Findings from this lab influence how concepts like consumer behavior, marketing strategies, and human resources management are taught in the classroom.
7. Initiatives on Consumer Insights:
Professors at IIM Bangalore are actively involved in researching consumer behavior and insights.
8. IIM Bangalore - Data Centre and Analytics Lab (DCAL):
With a dedicated emphasis on analytics and artificial intelligence, DCAL leads in data-centric research and education. Students get hands-on experience with authentic data and challenges, equipping them for data-informed decision-making in their forthcoming professions.
9. IIM Bangalore - Real Estate Research Initiative (RERI):
The research carried out at RERI aids students in comprehending the intricacies of the real estate industry and its linkages to more extensive economic patterns. This insight holds immense value for students with a keen interest in this field.
IIM Kozhikode PGP BL: Transforming Research into Classroom Learning
IIM Kozhikode (IIMK) is another premier institution that has been actively engaged in research and consulting. The following professors and their initiatives exemplify the valuable contributions to classroom learning:
1. Prof. Keyoor Purani: Prof. Purani's extensive consulting experience in marketing management influences the curriculum at IIM Kozhikode PGP BL. His ongoing projects on market strategy and financial performance analysis translate into real-world insights for students.
2. Prof. Surya Prakash Pati: With his focus on labor issues in management, Prof. Pati's work informs students about the challenges and dynamics of labor markets. His research on competency assessment contributes to human resource management education.
3. Prof. Abhilash S Nair: His expertise in finance and banking is invaluable for students at IIM Kozhikode. His work on topics like credit rating and asset pricing models influences how finance and investment are taught in the classroom.
4. Prof. Venkataraman S: His research in corporate sustainability and corporate governance has direct implications for courses on sustainability marketing and corporate social responsibility. Students gain a deep understanding of ethical business practices.
5. Prof. Atanu Adhikari: Prof. Adhikari's research in marketing management touches upon diverse areas such as branding and consumer behavior. His work is integrated into marketing courses, enriching students' understanding of consumer psychology.
6. Prof. Joffi Thomas: Prof. Thomas's research in branding and sustainability marketing offers valuable insights into branding strategies and sustainable business practices. His expertise enriches the curriculum during the MBA course duration.
7. Prof. Sumit Mitra: His focus on social entrepreneurship and open innovation is instrumental in fostering an entrepreneurial mindset among students. His research is integrated into MBA courses on entrepreneurship and innovation.
Research and industry consulting projects carried out by professors at Indian Institutes of Management like IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore and IIM Kozhikode PGP BL and ISB significantly impact classroom learning and the overall MBA course duration. Through their research and active involvement in practical consulting projects, these educators ensure that the education provided remains current, applicable, and pertinent to the ever-changing business landscape.
These endeavors enhance the course offerings, providing students with invaluable real-world perspectives and equipping them to thrive in their upcoming professional journeys. MBA courses continue to play a pivotal role in nurturing business leaders who possess a deep understanding of both theory and practical application.
If you are aspiring for an MBA program in India, the one year MBA in India is a great option to go with. The requirements of these programs is a minimum work experience and a GMAT or a GRE score. The programs like ISB PGP and Indian Institute of Management one year full time MBA for executives offer a great opportunity to accomplish career transitions. Get in touch with an MBA admission consultant from GOALisB to discuss your career plans and a profile evaluation for knowing the best MBA course suited for you.